Curious about Autism Signs (& Symptoms) for your child in Fort Worth, TX?
With locations across Texas including Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston, and Missouri City, Pine Cone Therapies offers autism assessment and treatment services for young people on the autism spectrum. Give us a call today or complete the contact form below to get started.
What are symptoms of autism?
The age of autism diagnosis and the severity of early indications varies. Some babies exhibit signs early on. Others show habits as late as 2 or 3.
No child with autism has all the symptoms. Many non-autistic children display a few. That’s why expert assessment is vital.
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) manifests in various ways. Disabilities in communication, behavior, or social interaction.
What Causes Autism?
Experts don’t completely comprehend the causes of ASD. It appears to be inherited, although parental age and prescription drug use during pregnancy might be factors.
- A person is more likely to have autism if a sibling or parent has it. But it isn’t necessarily hereditary.
- Around 10% of ASD youngsters have a genetic condition like Down syndrome or fragile X syndrome.
- Danish research linked ASD to either parent’s advanced age.
- Pregnant women taking opioids are more likely to have ASD children.
Some autistic children exhibit indicators as early as a few months old. Others appear normal for a few months or years, then start displaying symptoms.
However, by the age of two, between 80 and 90% of parents of children with ASD had recognized concerns. ASD children will always have symptoms, although they can improve with age.
Autism has a wide spectrum. Some people have obvious difficulties, others don’t. The common thread is disparities in social skills, communication, and conduct from non-spectrum persons.
- Lost speech, rambling, or social skills
- Eye contact avoidance
- Preference for solitude
- Inability to comprehend others’ emotions
- Repetition of words or phrases (echolalia)
- Resistance to routine or environment changes
- Restricted aims
- Habitual actions (flapping, rocking, spinning, etc.)
- Abnormally strong sensitivities to noises, scents, tastes and textures
How Does Autism Impact Social Skills?
ASD kids have trouble engaging with others. Social skills issues are among the most typical indicators. They may crave close interactions yet lack knowledge.
Social symptoms may appear between 8 and 10 months of age in autistic children, including:
- By their first birthday, they don’t reply.
- They don’t like to play, share, or converse with others.
- They enjoy solitude.
- They avoid or reject all physical contact.
- They avoid looking.
- They don’t enjoy being consoled while upset.
- They have no concept of feelings.
- They may not extend their arms to be lifted up or walked.